Auckland whale and dolphin safari host the most incredible eco safari tours where you are guaranteed breathtaking encounters with marine wildlife including Bryde’s whales, pygmy blue whales, dolphins, New Zealand fur seals, sharks, manta rays, turtles, up to 26 rare species of seabirds – including the little blue penguin and many other amazing creatures! Enjoy a 4.5-hour cruise on board the luxurious ‘Dolphin Explorer’ exploring the beautiful Hauraki Gulf Marine Park in search of encounters with amazing and diverse marine wildlife.
The safari departs from the Viaduct Basin, just a short walk from all the major hotels and hostels in Auckland Central where you will climb on board a 65-foot (20-metre) catamaran. This amazing vessel will take you to the beautiful Hauraki Gulf Marine Park, one of the most abundant and diverse marine parks in the world.
On the huge open deck, you will get the most splendid views of famous Auckland landmarks like the Harbour Bridge, North Head and Devonport, and volcanic Rangitoto Island, as you watch out for orca and dolphins known to frequent the inner Waitematā Harbour. While the knowledgeable crew provides expert commentary, marine scientists conduct biological studies and invite you to join interactive research activities, which is unique to this provider and only adds to the fun, giving you a sense of fulfilment.
Once you return to Auckland they have a licensed café and bar, which you can receive a discount for if you pre-book, with awesome island views. Where you can learn even more about the wildlife of the ocean, by going to an optional research presentation.
How do I check in at Auckland Whale and Dolphin Safari?
- From $129 NZD for Adults
- Child $89 (0 to 14 years)
- Family $325 (2 adults and up to 2 children; additional children $59 each)
- Senior $109 (65+ ID required)
- you can change or cancel your booking up to 6 pm the day before travel, free of charge
- Because you are venturing into a wild, natural environment, every trip is different and the marine wildlife encountered will vary from one day to the next but it is typical to see some amazing animals every trip.
- Safaris operate daily until 30 April 2022
- Check-in closes 10:15am
- Safari departs at 10:30 am
- Returns 3:00pm
- Recommend you wear a few layers of clothes, including something warm and wind/shower-proof, a sun hat or warm winter hat, and sunglasses and flat-soled shoes
- Please take any personal medication with you, including any seasickness medication you may need, as they cannot sell medicine on board
- Take a camera
- You’re welcome to take your own food and non-alcoholic drinks on boardPre-book a picnic lunch. Adult Picnic Lunch ($20 per person), Kids Picnic Lunch ($12 per person).You are most welcome to take your own food on board.