Get your walking boots ready! Locally nicknamed “The Stairway to Heaven”, the Cuilcagh Boardwalk Trail is an area of outstanding beauty. The trail meanders through a sweeping expanse of blanket bog, stretching right across the mountain slopes. Located near the Marble Arch Caves, breath in the fresh air and enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. Follow the boardwalks up a steep climb to the viewing platform at the summit.
Where can I find the start of the trail?
Cuilcagh features one of the largest blanket bogs in Northern Ireland and one of the most intact blanket bogs in Western Europe. As such, it is an area playing host to many rare species, natural habitats and geological features. This makes it both a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and an Area of Special Scientific Interest (ASSI). But don’t worry! The boardwalk is in place to provide protection to the sensitive landscape. Stick to the path and you can enjoy nature while protecting it for future generations.
- The trail is 11km long (7 miles).
- Average walking time is 2-3 hours.
- Carpark is open every day from 7am to 7pm.
- It’s free to walk the trail.
- Parking costs £6 per car and must be booked online in advance.
- Equip yourself for walking in the mountainous area; proper walking boots, etc.
- Weather conditions can be quick to change, so prepare for anything.
- Steep steps are not for the faint of heart.
- Phone reception is poor in the area, so let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll be back.