Leicester, located in the heart of England, is a city that has a lot to offer visitors. From its rich history to its vibrant culture, there is always something interesting to discover. Here’s a guide to Leicester that will help you get the most out of your visit.
Begin your exploration of Leicester with a visit to the King Richard III Visitor Centre. This museum offers an immersive experience into the life and death of King Richard III, one of England’s most famous monarchs. The museum is located near the site where Richard III’s remains were discovered, and it tells the story of his rise to power, his controversial reign, and the events that led to his demise at the Battle of Bosworth.
After exploring the King Richard III Visitor Centre, take a stroll through Leicester’s Old Town. This charming area of the city is home to historic buildings, cobbled streets, and a variety of independent shops and cafes. Take in the sights and sounds of this bustling area, and perhaps stop for a cup of tea or coffee at one of the many quaint cafes.
Leicester is also known for its diverse food scene, with cuisine from all over the world available in the city. Take a walk down the Golden Mile, which is home to some of the best Indian restaurants in the UK. Try some authentic Indian food, and be sure to sample some of the delicious sweets and desserts that are also available in the area.
If you’re interested in history, be sure to visit the Leicester Cathedral. This stunning building is one of Leicester’s most famous landmarks. Visit the tomb of King Richard III, see the medieval stained glass, and take in the beautiful architecture.
Leicester is also a great place to experience the great outdoors. The city is surrounded by beautiful countryside, including Bradgate Park and the National Forest. Take a walk, go cycling, or enjoy a picnic in one of the city’s many parks. You could also take a tour of the city’s canals, which offer a unique perspective on Leicester’s history and culture.
If you’re looking for some entertainment, Leicester has a range of options to choose from. Check out the program of events at the Curve Theatre, which offers a range of shows and performances throughout the year. You could also visit the Phoenix Cinema and Art Centre, which screens independent and foreign films, as well as hosting exhibitions and events.
Finally, no visit to Leicester would be complete without experiencing the city’s vibrant nightlife. Leicester has a range of bars, clubs, and live music venues, offering something for everyone. Enjoy a drink, see a show, or dance the night away in one of the city’s many venues.
Overall, Leicester is a city that has something for everyone. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, food, or entertainment, you’re sure to find something that interests you in this vibrant and exciting city.
Here are some things not to miss in Leicestershire
- Visit The National Space Centre – this award-winning attraction is home to the UK’s largest planetarium, interactive exhibits, and the iconic Rocket Tower. The centre was opened in 2001 and has since welcomed over 4 million visitors.
- Explore Bradgate Park – this stunning park is known for its natural beauty and wildlife, including red and fallow deer. It’s perfect for picnics, long walks, and wildlife spotting.
- Learn about history at the King Richard III Visitor Centre – located in the heart of Leicester, this museum offers an immersive experience into the life and death of King Richard III, one of England’s most famous monarchs.
- Enjoy family fun at Conkers – this outdoor attraction features 120 acres of woodland and includes adventure play areas, a 4D cinema, and a high ropes course.
- Take a tour of the Belvoir Castle – this magnificent castle dates back to the 11th century and has been the ancestral home of the Duke of Rutland for over 500 years. The castle boasts stunning gardens and a range of tours.
- Discover the Great Central Railway – experience a journey on one of the UK’s only double-track, mainline heritage railways. Enjoy a range of events and experiences throughout the year.
- Visit the Twycross Zoo – home to over 500 animals from 125 species, this zoo offers a fun and educational day out for all ages.
- Try your hand at go-karting – the indoor go-karting venue, Teamsport Leicester, offers a thrilling experience for those who love speed and competition.
- Take a stroll in the Leicester Botanic Garden – this beautiful garden boasts over 1,200 plant species, including a rare collection of orchids.
- Enjoy a night out in Leicester’s Cultural Quarter – with its diverse range of bars, restaurants, and live music venues, Leicester’s Cultural Quarter offers a lively night out.