Welcome to Cambridge, one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the United Kingdom. Located in the heart of the East of England, Cambridge is home to one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious universities, as well as a wealth of other attractions and sights.
One of the top things to do in Cambridge is to explore the University of Cambridge. Founded in 1209, the university has a rich history and is made up of 31 different colleges. Some of the most famous colleges include King’s College, Trinity College, and St John’s College, all of which offer stunning examples of historic architecture and beautiful grounds. The university also boasts some world-renowned libraries and museums, such as the Cambridge University Library and the Fitzwilliam Museum.
Another popular activity in Cambridge is punting on the River Cam. Punting is a traditional form of transportation in Cambridge, and it’s a fun and relaxing way to see the city’s beautiful landmarks and historic buildings. You can hire a punt and do it yourself or take a guided tour with one of the many punting companies in the city.
For nature lovers, the Cambridge Botanic Garden is a must-visit attraction. The garden is home to over 8,000 different species of plants from all around the world and spans over 40 acres. It’s a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the natural surroundings, and the garden also offers regular events and exhibitions.
If you’re interested in history, there are plenty of other sights and landmarks to explore in Cambridge. The city has a rich and fascinating past, with numerous museums and historic buildings to discover. Some of the must-see attractions include the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, the Whipple Museum of the History of Science, and the Cambridge Museum of Technology.
If you’re looking for something a little more unusual, why not take a ghost tour of the city? There are several different companies that offer spooky tours of Cambridge, taking you to some of the most haunted places in the city and regaling you with tales of ghosts and ghouls.
Finally, don’t miss the chance to visit the Cambridge Market. Located in the heart of the city, the market is a bustling and vibrant place full of stalls selling everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts. It’s a great place to pick up souvenirs or enjoy a tasty snack from one of the many food stalls.
Cambridge is a city that has something for everyone. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or nightlife, there are plenty of things to see and do. So why not plan a visit and discover all that this beautiful city has to offer?
Unlocking the charms of Cambridge: a must-do list for visitors
- Punting on the River Cam Punting is a traditional activity in Cambridge and a great way to see the city’s stunning architecture and landmarks from a different perspective. You can hire a punt and do it yourself, or take a guided tour with one of the many punting companies in the city.
- Visit the University of Cambridge Cambridge is home to one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious universities, and exploring the university is a must-do activity. You can visit some of the famous colleges, such as King’s College, Trinity College, and St John’s College, as well as some of the world-renowned libraries and museums.
- Explore the Botanic Garden The Cambridge Botanic Garden is a beautiful and tranquil space with over 8,000 different species of plants from all over the world. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy nature, and the garden also hosts regular events and exhibitions.
- Take a Ghost Tour Cambridge has a rich and fascinating history, and there are plenty of ghost stories and legends associated with the city. Taking a ghost tour is a fun and spooky way to explore the city and learn about its haunted past.
- Visit the Fitzwilliam Museum The Fitzwilliam Museum is one of the most important art and antiquities museums in the country, with an incredible collection of art, sculpture, and other artefacts. It’s a great place to learn about art and history, and admission is free.
- Go Shopping in the City Centre Cambridge has a great shopping scene, with plenty of independent boutiques, high-street shops, and markets to explore. The city centre is pedestrianized, making it easy and enjoyable to walk around and shop.
- Enjoy a Night Out Cambridge has a great nightlife scene, with plenty of pubs, bars, and clubs to suit all tastes. Whether you want a quiet drink with friends or a night of dancing and partying, there’s something for everyone in Cambridge’s nightlife scene.
- Attend a Festival or Event Cambridge is home to a range of festivals and events throughout the year, including the Cambridge Folk Festival, the Cambridge Literary Festival, and the Cambridge Science Festival. These events are a great way to experience the city’s culture and enjoy some unique and fun experiences.
Stage struck in Cambridge: your guide to the city’s theatres
Cambridge is home to a vibrant and diverse theatre scene, with several venues hosting a range of performances throughout the year.
- Cambridge Arts Theatre – the Cambridge Arts Theatre is a 1,012-seat venue that has been a fixture in the city since 1936. It hosts a mix of professional productions, touring shows, and amateur productions throughout the year, ranging from classic plays to contemporary dramas, musicals, and comedy.
- ADC Theatre – the ADC Theatre is the oldest university playhouse in England and has been a training ground for many famous actors and playwrights. It hosts a range of student productions, as well as professional and touring shows, with a focus on contemporary theatre, comedy, and experimental work.
- The Junction – the Junction is a multi-purpose arts venue that hosts a range of live performances, music events, and exhibitions. It has two performance spaces – a 220-seat theatre and a 500-capacity venue – as well as a bar and a café.
- Corpus Playroom – the Corpus Playroom is a small, intimate theatre space located above the Corpus Christi College bar. It hosts a range of student productions, as well as visiting shows and performances.
- Mumford Theatre – the Mumford Theatre is a 270-seat venue located on the Anglia Ruskin University campus. It hosts a range of performances throughout the year, including drama, dance, and music productions.
- Cambridge Junction – Cambridge Junction is a venue that hosts a range of live performances, music events, and exhibitions. It has two performance spaces – a 220-seat theatre and a 500-capacity venue – as well as a bar and a café.
- The Leper Chapel – the Leper Chapel is a historic building that has been converted into an intimate performance space. It hosts a range of small-scale productions, including plays, music events, and comedy shows.
Visit The Centre for Computing History Cambridge
Here’s a fun and informative day out for any age! The Centre for Computing History is much more than a museum. Based in Cambridge, it hosts hands-on exhibitions, educational workshops and a wide range of activities and events. Most importantly, it makes the …
Movies On The Meadows Outdoor Cinema in Cambridge
For the past eleven years, August Bank Holiday has meant only one thing at Grantchester Meadows: Movies on the Meadows! A cinema extravaganza under the stars with not one, not two, but three inflatable Airscreens, featuring twelve films across four nights. With …
Cambridge University Botanic Garden
Attention all nature lovers, we have just the Stack for you! Get outdoors and experience the peace and serenity of nature at Cambridge University Botanic Garden. Take in the breathtaking surroundings filled with an abundance of stunning flora and forestry and just …
Gliding Experience near Cambridge
Located in the serene countryside of Sandy, East of England, Cambridge Gliding Club offers an unparalleled opportunity to soar through the skies and experience the thrill of gliding. This club, nestled amidst picturesque landscapes, has been a beacon for aviation enthusiasts and …
Enchanted Outdoor Cinema in Cambridge
Looking for something to spice up your usual Netflix session? How about an outdoor cinema? Enchanted Cinema at the Gonville Hotel is the destination of your next movie magic experience. Enchanted Cinema first started putting together open-air cinema viewing in Cambridge back …
Paintballing in Cambridge
Enjoy paintball? Come on down to UKPaintball in Cambridge and battle your friends in any of their four different terrains! Paintball UK provides an action-packed day of paintball combat while surrounded by stunning woodland. UKPaintball in Cambridge offers four different terrains for …