Welcome to Carlisle, a historic city in the north of England that is full of fun and exciting things to do! Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or outdoor activities, Carlisle has something for everyone.
One of the main attractions in Carlisle is the historic Carlisle Castle. This ancient fortress dates back to the 12th century and is home to a range of fascinating exhibits and artefacts. Visitors can explore the castle’s towers and ramparts, and learn about the rich history of the region.
For those interested in art and culture, Carlisle is home to a range of galleries and museums. The Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, for example, features a range of exhibits that showcase the history and culture of Cumbria, as well as a collection of contemporary art.
Carlisle is also a great destination for foodies, with a range of restaurants, cafes, and pubs that offer delicious local cuisine. Visitors can try traditional dishes like Cumberland sausage and sticky toffee pudding, or sample international flavours at one of the city’s many ethnic restaurants.
For those looking for outdoor activities, Carlisle is situated in a beautiful natural landscape that is perfect for hiking, cycling, and other outdoor activities. The city is located near the Lake District National Park, which offers stunning mountains, lakes, and forests that are perfect for exploration.
Finally, no visit to Carlisle would be complete without a trip to the local markets and shopping areas. The city is home to a range of independent shops, boutiques, and markets, where visitors can find unique gifts and souvenirs to take home.
So whether you’re interested in history, culture, food, outdoor activities, or shopping, Carlisle has something for everyone. Come and explore all that this beautiful city has to offer!
Here are some things not to miss when visiting Carlisle
- Carlisle Castle – this historic fortress is a must-see attraction in Carlisle, with its imposing towers and rich history.
- Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery – this museum offers a fascinating insight into the history and culture of Cumbria, as well as a collection of contemporary art.
- Hadrian’s Wall – this UNESCO World Heritage Site is a short distance from Carlisle and offers a fascinating glimpse into the history of the region.
- Carlisle Cathedral – this beautiful cathedral is a stunning example of Gothic architecture and features intricate stained glass windows and other fascinating details.
- The Lanes Shopping Centre – this indoor shopping centre features a range of high street and independent retailers, as well as cafes and restaurants.
- Bitts Park – this beautiful park is located in the heart of Carlisle and offers a range of recreational activities, including tennis, mini golf, and a play area for children.
- Carlisle Market – this traditional market is held every Wednesday and Saturday and features a range of local produce, crafts, and other goods.
- The Sands Centre – this entertainment venue hosts a range of events, including concerts, comedy shows, and theatre performances.
- Carlisle Racecourse – this popular racecourse hosts a range of events throughout the year, including the prestigious Carlisle Bell race.
- The Border Regiment and King’s Own Royal Border Regiment Museum – This museum offers a fascinating insight into the history of the local regiment, with exhibits including uniforms, weapons, and other artefacts.