Dundee is a coastal city in the east of Scotland, it is the perfect place to visit when in Scotland as it has many pubs, restaurants, art galleries and much more. There will never be a dull day when embracing all that this historic city has to offer. Dundee is home to DC Thomson & Co, publisher of the Beano and the Dandy.
In 2014, Dundee was named the UK’s first city of design, by UNESCO. V&A Dundee, the award-winning gallery space, opened in 2018.
The global bestselling console games Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption were originally created by DMA Design Limited, founded in Dundee in 1988. If you’re after a gaming experience check out, Dogstar VR Lounge.
If you are looking for pure excitement then head to Dundee’s very own Aqua park it has many water activities for you to challenge yourself in. Other fun ideas for your day out could be visiting the trampoline park for an hour’s worth of fun with your friends. Planning a day out in Dundee? See our blog post on how to get the most out of your visit
Dundee also is full of wonderful sightseeing opportunities, you could visit Britain’s first-ever purpose-built public observatory where you will have the chance to take in all the stunning scenery from the top of Balgay hill.
Dundee offers a variety of fun activities for kids of all ages. Here are some popular options:
- McManus Galleries: Take the kids on a visit to this museum and art gallery, which features interactive exhibits, hands-on activities, and a wide range of historical and cultural artefacts.
- Verdant Works: Visit this interactive museum, which showcases the city’s rich textile heritage and provides hands-on experiences for children.
- Camperdown Wildlife Centre: Visit this park and animal sanctuary, where kids can see a variety of exotic and native animals, including monkeys, meerkats, and more.
- Cineworld Dundee: Take the kids to see the latest movies at this modern cinema, which features a variety of films, snacks, and comfortable seating.
- Dundee Science Centre: This interactive science museum is perfect for kids who love learning and hands-on activities. It features a wide range of exhibits and experiences on subjects ranging from space to the human body.
- Camperdown Park: Enjoy a picnic, take a walk or let the kids play at this beautiful park, which features a large pond, playgrounds, and plenty of open space for exploring.
- Discovery Point: Visit this museum, which is dedicated to the story of the RRS Discovery, the ship that took Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton to Antarctica.
These are just a few of the many fun activities for kids in Dundee. With a wide range of options, there is something for everyone in this vibrant and interesting city.
Fun facts about Dundee
- Due to Dundee’s east coast geographical position, it is the sunniest city in Scotland.
- The RSS Discovery was built in Dundee and was launched in 1901. It is a proud symbol of Dundee’s shipbuilding past and the city’s connection to the seas. The Discovery is also the last traditional wooden-masted ship to be built in the United Kingdom.
- The Bell Rock lighthouse, which was built 11 miles off the coast of Angus between 1807 and 1810, is the world’s oldest surviving sea-washed lighthouse.
- Dundee has a strong culinary tradition, some of the most famous dishes include the Dundee Cake, Dundee Marmalade and Angus Beef.