12 fun things to do in Skye
The Isle of Skye is a beautiful and rugged island located off the northwest coast of Scotland. Known for its stunning landscapes, rich history, and friendly locals, Skye is a popular destination for tourists from around the world.
Here’s a guide to help you plan your visit:
- Getting there: The easiest way to get to Skye is by car or bus from Inverness or Glasgow. Alternatively, you can take a train to Kyle of Lochalsh and then cross the Skye Bridge or take a ferry from Mallaig to Armadale.
- Accommodation: Skye has plenty of accommodation options, including hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses, and self-catering cottages. It’s best to book in advance, especially during the busy summer months.
- Outdoor activities: Skye is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts, with miles of hiking trails, cycling routes, and water activities. The island is also home to a number of wildlife species, including eagles, otters, and seals. Don’t miss the chance to hike up the Old Man of Storr or visit the Fairy Pools.
- Local culture: Skye has a rich history and culture, and you can experience traditional music, dance, and storytelling at events and festivals throughout the year. The island is also home to a number of historic sites, including Dunvegan Castle and the ruins of several ancient churches and castles.
- Food and drink: Skye is known for its fresh seafood, locally-sourced produce, and traditional Scottish dishes. There are plenty of restaurants, cafes, and pubs on the island where you can sample the local cuisine and drink.
- Planning your visit: Skye is a popular tourist destination, so it’s best to plan your visit in advance. Consider visiting during the quieter shoulder seasons (April to May and September to October) to avoid the crowds and get the best deals on accommodation and activities.
- Getting around: Skye is a large island, and it’s best to have a car to get around and explore all that it has to offer. There are also bus tours and taxi services available if you prefer not to drive.
Whether you’re a nature lover, a history buff, or a foodie, Skye has something to offer everyone. Take your time to explore the island, soak up the local culture, and enjoy the stunning scenery.
Discover fun things to do