Welcome to Buckinghamshire, a county located in South East England, bordering Greater London to the southeast. With its rolling hills, picturesque countryside, and historic towns and villages, Buckinghamshire is a popular destination for tourists and visitors. The county is home to some of the most beautiful stately homes, gardens, and parks in England, including the famous Waddesdon Manor and the Chiltern Hills, which is a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
For history buffs, Buckinghamshire is home to many historic sites such as Waddesdon Manor, a magnificent 19th-century house, and Bletchley Park, which was used during World War II as a codebreaking centre. Another must-visit place is the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre, which celebrates the life and works of the beloved children’s author.
If you are a fan of shopping, don’t miss a visit to the market town of Marlow, which is home to many independent shops and boutiques. Alternatively, head to the historic town of Amersham to browse its antique shops and sample some of its delicious local food.
Buckinghamshire is also known for its sports, with several top-quality golf courses and horse racing events throughout the year. You can also try your hand at water sports at Willen Lake or Caldecotte Lake.
Finally, if you are looking for a little bit of relaxation, why not visit one of Buckinghamshire’s many spas and wellness centres? Enjoy a massage, take a dip in a hot tub or simply unwind in the beautiful countryside surroundings.
Here are some fun things to do in Buckinghamshire
Buckinghamshire is a county with a wealth of fun activities and attractions to suit all ages and interests.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the Chiltern Hills to see the county from a unique perspective.
- Visit the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre in Great Missenden, which celebrates the life and works of the famous children’s author.
- Explore the Waddesdon Manor, a magnificent 19th-century house built in the style of a French chateau, and its beautiful gardens.
- Go on a steam train ride on the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway, a heritage railway that runs through the Chiltern Hills.
- Try your hand at clay pigeon shooting at the E.J. Churchill Shooting Ground, which has been used by the British shooting team.
- Take a tour of Bletchley Park, the home of codebreakers during World War II and see the machines used to decipher enemy codes.
- Visit the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre in Quainton, which is home to a collection of vintage steam locomotives and railway memorabilia.
- Take a leisurely walk in the Burnham Beeches, a 500-acre ancient woodland filled with wildlife and stunning trees.
- Visit the Hellfire Caves in West Wycombe, an eerie and intriguing network of underground tunnels built in the 18th century.
- Enjoy a day out at the Gulliver’s Land theme park in Milton Keynes, with rides, attractions, and shows for all ages.
These are just a few suggestions for fun things to do in Buckinghamshire. Whatever your interests, there is sure to be something to keep you entertained in this wonderful county.