Surrey has something for everyone from the bustling town centres to the tranquil countryside. Whether you’re a history buff, an adrenaline junkie, a foodie, or just looking for a good time, you’re sure to find it here. So get ready to explore some of the most beautiful and exciting parts of England – and don’t forget to bring your sense of adventure!
With a rich history dating back to Roman times, this is reflected in the many historical sites and cultural attractions that are found throughout the county. Arguably the most famous heritage site in Surrey, Hampton Court Palace was once home to King Henry VIII and has been a royal residence for over 500 years. Visitors can explore the palace’s magnificent State Apartments, wander through the Tudor kitchens, and stroll around the stunning gardens and maze. Other popular sites include the ruins of Waverley Abbey, the stunning Polesden Lacey estate, and the award-winning Brooklands Museum.
Surrey is known for its stunning countryside, and there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors here. The Surrey Hills are an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and are home to some of the most breathtaking scenery in the country. Box Hill is one of the most famous spots in the area, offering panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Other must-visit natural attractions include the stunning Winkworth Arboretum and the picturesque Frensham Ponds.
Unleash your inner thrill-seeker: action sports in Surrey
If you’re an adventure enthusiast, Surrey may not be the first destination that comes to mind. However, this charming county has a surprisingly wide range of thrilling activities to offer. Whether you’re a fan of high-speed sports, outdoor adventures, or adrenaline-fueled challenges, Surrey has something for you. From zip-lining and high ropes courses to off-road biking and kayaking, there are endless opportunities for adventure seekers to push their limits and have fun. So gear up, get ready to explore the great outdoors, and discover the many exciting adventure activities Surrey has to offer!
From mountain biking and rock climbing to ziplining and wakeboarding, there are endless opportunities for adventure seekers to get their fix. Here’s a guide to some of the best action sports in Surrey:
- Mountain Biking – Surrey is home to a variety of mountain biking trails, including the world-famous Surrey Hills. These trails offer a range of difficulty levels, from gentle beginner routes to challenging downhill tracks.
- Rock Climbing – The county has a number of indoor and outdoor climbing facilities, including the renowned Craggy Island Climbing Centre in Guildford. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, there’s a climb to suit your skill level.
- Ziplining and High Ropes Courses – Adventure parks such as Go Ape in Farnham and Skywalk Adventure in Esher offer exhilarating zipline and high ropes experiences, with courses that are suitable for all ages and abilities.
- Wakeboarding – At the Quayside Wakeboard and Waterski Centre in Mytchett, visitors can enjoy wakeboarding sessions on the lake. The centre caters to all levels, from beginners to experienced riders.
- Indoor Skydiving – If you’ve ever wanted to experience the thrill of skydiving without jumping out of a plane, head to iFLY in Milton Keynes. Here, you can enjoy the sensation of freefalling in a safe and controlled environment.
Surrey’s delights: a foodie’s guide to the best eateries in the county
Home to a wide range of restaurants and cafes, offering everything from traditional English fare to international cuisine. Many of the county’s pubs and bars also serve food and are a great place to sample local beers and ales. Visitors should also be sure to check out one of the many farmers’ markets held throughout the county, where they can pick up fresh local produce and artisanal goods.
Surrey is a food lover’s paradise, with a vibrant culinary scene that boasts everything from traditional British pub fare to exotic international cuisine. Here’s a foodie’s guide to some of the best places to eat in Surrey:
- The Tudor Room – Located within the historic Great Fosters hotel in Egham, The Tudor Room is a fine dining experience like no other. The restaurant boasts a Michelin star, with a menu that changes seasonally to showcase the best of British ingredients.
- The Three Chimneys – This traditional English pub in Betchworth serves up classic pub fare with a modern twist. Expect dishes like beer-battered fish and chips, and slow-cooked lamb shank with roasted vegetables.
- Stovell’s – Located in Chobham, Stovell’s is a modern British restaurant that celebrates the best of local ingredients. The menu features dishes like venison with celeriac and truffle, and mackerel with rhubarb and sea herbs.
- The Clink Restaurant – This unique eatery is located within the walls of HMP High Down in Sutton, and is staffed by inmates who are working towards gaining qualifications in the hospitality industry. The menu changes regularly and features a range of delicious dishes, from roast pork belly to vegetarian tart.
- The Good Earth – This Chinese restaurant in Esher has been serving up delicious dishes for over 30 years. The menu is extensive, featuring classic Chinese dishes like crispy duck, sweet and sour chicken, and stir-fried beef with ginger and spring onion.
- Redhill Farm Shop – Located in Reigate, this farm shop and café offers a range of fresh, locally sourced produce, including meat, vegetables, and artisanal cheeses. The café serves up a range of light bites and meals, from homemade soups to ploughman’s lunches.
Surrey’s food scene is diverse and delicious, so be sure to explore some of these fantastic eateries and discover the best of local and international cuisine.
Enjoy a pint: explore some of the best breweries in Surrey
Surrey is home to a thriving craft beer scene, with numerous breweries producing high-quality and innovative brews. Here are some of the best breweries in the county:
- Hogs Back Brewery, located in Tongham, has been producing award-winning ales since 1992. Visitors can take a tour of the brewery, enjoy a tasting session, or simply relax in the cosy taproom.
- Tillingbourne Brewery, based in Shere, is a small, family-run operation that produces a range of traditional and experimental beers. Visitors can take a tour of the brewery, sample the beers, and learn about the brewing process.
- Ascot Brewing Company, an independent brewery in Camberley, produces a range of craft beers and ciders, with a focus on using locally sourced ingredients. Visitors can take a tour of the brewery and sample the beers in the on-site taproom.
- Surrey Hills Brewery, located in Dorking, produces a range of award-winning beers using traditional brewing methods. Visitors can take a tour of the brewery, enjoy a tasting session, or relax in the cosy taproom.
- The Crafty Brewing Company, based in Godalming, produces a range of craft beers using high-quality ingredients. Visitors can take a tour of the brewery, sample the beers, and enjoy delicious food in the on-site restaurant.
Visiting one of Surrey’s breweries is a fun and unique activity, whether you’re a seasoned beer enthusiast or just looking for a great day out.
Here are some more fun things to do in Surrey
- Get lost in the beautiful countryside: with rolling hills, picturesque villages, and sprawling parks, Surrey is a nature lover’s paradise. Take a hike in the Surrey Hills, visit the beautiful Winkworth Arboretum, or explore the stunning countryside around Guildford.
- Visit a historic site: Surrey is home to many historic sites, from castles and palaces to ancient ruins and museums. Check out Hampton Court Palace, the ruins of Waverley Abbey, or the fascinating Brooklands Museum.
- Go shopping: Surrey is known for its charming towns and villages, which offer a variety of unique and interesting shops. Browse the boutiques in Guildford, visit the farmers’ markets in Farnham, or explore the antique shops in Dorking.
- Enjoy a pint: Surrey is home to many traditional pubs, where you can sample local beers and ciders while enjoying a cozy atmosphere. Check out The White Horse in Dorking, The Prince of Wales in Guildford, or The Jolly Farmers in Worplesdon.
- Take a bike ride: Surrey is a great place to explore on two wheels, with many scenic bike routes and trails to choose from. Rent a bike in Richmond Park, cycle along the River Wey, or take a leisurely ride through the beautiful countryside around Godalming.
- Go to the races: Surrey is home to some of the UK’s most famous racecourses, including Epsom Downs and Sandown Park. Take in the atmosphere and excitement of a day at the races, and maybe even place a bet or two.
- Visit a farm: Surrey is home to many working farms, where you can get up close and personal with farm animals and learn about local agriculture. Visit Bocketts Farm Park, Godstone Farm, or the Surrey Docks Farm for a fun and educational day out.
- Have a picnic: with so much beautiful countryside to explore, why not pack a picnic and find a peaceful spot to enjoy it? Head to Painshill Park, Box Hill, or Frensham Ponds for a relaxing day in nature.
- Go on a ghost hunt: Surrey is said to be one of the most haunted counties in the UK, with many spooky stories and legends. Take a ghost tour of Guildford, visit the haunted halls of Hampton Court Palace, or explore the creepy tunnels beneath Reigate Castle.
- Take a scenic drive: finally, one of the best ways to see Surrey is from the comfort of your own car. Take a scenic drive through the countryside, stopping off at charming villages and historic sites along the way. Who knows what hidden gems you might discover?
Surrey is a great place for visitors who love to shop, with plenty of options for both high street and independent retailers. Guildford is one of the most popular shopping destinations in the county, with a range of boutiques, department stores, and markets to explore. Other notable shopping destinations include Dorking, Farnham, and Woking.
With so much to see and do, visitors are sure to be entertained and engaged during their stay. So whether you’re interested in exploring historic sites, enjoying the great outdoors, or simply relaxing and enjoying some delicious food and drink, Surrey is the perfect place to do it.
Lightbox Gallery in Surrey
Passionate about art and history? Lightbox gallery is one of the most exciting spaces in the South East featuring three stunning galleries hosting a wide range of exhibitions that change regularly. If you fancy learning about Woking’s history, participating in activities like …
AirHop Trampoline Park in Guildford
Ever wanted to go to bouncing heaven? Europe’s leading trampoline park has expanded to Surrey welcoming all ages and abilities and offering the ultimate bouncing fun! With over 50 interconnected trampolines and inflatable airbags, this is the place to truly master your …
Experience a Thrilling Track Day at Mercedes-Benz World
If you want to experience driving a top of the range Mercedes-AMG sports car within the safety of an enclosed circuit, head to Mercedes-Benz World. They offer a wide range of driving and passenger packages, with dual control cars for beginners, off-road …