Have you ever wanted to explore caves and mines? Go Deep Underground on the slate mine tour! Learn about our 450-million-year-old volcanic green slate and how it has been mined through the ages. The highlight of any visit to Honister Slate Mine must be the fully-guided underground tour! Experience Honister’s rich mining history for yourself – each tour lasts approximately 1.5 hours
Where can I go cave exploring in The Lake District?
Honister offers two unique ways of exploring the mines a guided tour or better yet climbing it. The ultimate wet weather activity for all! It is an adrenaline-filled adventure deep inside the heart of a Lake District mountain and is the only one of its type in England. Climb the Mine follows the route of the original underground mine workings. Complete with vertical climbs, rope-bridge crossings, steel ladder ascents, run-away zip line, and Tarzan swing! This all-weather experience sees participants led deep underground to explore a secret world of hidden passages and magnificent cathedral-sized caverns where miners used to extract rock for roofing slates. After 2 hours of adventure eventually emerge triumphant with a spectacular view of one of England’s highest mountain passes.
- Cave climbing information:
- £ 50 for all climbers discount applies for multiple tickets purchased
- Approximately 3 hours
- ALL under 16’s must be accompanied by a participating adult (18+).
- Suitable in all weather, perfect for a rainy day!
- The minimum age is 10 years
- All essential equipment will be provided by Honister on arrival.
- Boots or strong shoes are required.
- Slate tour Information:
- Arrive 30 minutes before the Slate tour starts
- Adult price £ 17,50
- Child price £9,50