St Andrews Botanic Garden is a beautiful 18 acre botanic garden, perfect for a relaxing day out. It was founded by the University of St Andrews in 1889. The Garden has a collection that’s recognised at a national level, with around 8,000 species of plants from different climates from all over the world. In particular, the Garden is known for its fascinating collections of alpine plants in the rock garden and alpine house, and for wide range of species in the genera Sorbus s.l., Rhododendron and Berberis. Intricate plant displays can be found on the rock and scree hillsides, ponds, woodland and herbaceous borders scattered throughout the gardens. The humid glasshouses house alpines, tropical exotics and desert plants. After your tour around the garden, visit the shop for some lovely goodies and head to the coffeeshop for a delicious hot drink and a slice of cake.
- The Lochaber Shed Cafe is open from Friday to Sunday: 10am-4pm
- Open everyday from 10am-4pm (October to March)
- Open everyday from 10am-6pm (April to September)
- Adult (18+)- £6.00/ £5.45
- Concession (60+ or NHS worker) – £5.00/ £4.50
- Under 18s and Students with valid student cards – Free