For a beautiful way to experience the national park don’t look any further than the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. With lots of routes and a variety of trains, you will be spoilt for choice to experience the railway. Whether it’s on the dinner coach or the trip to the seaside the views and experience will be something to remember. Scenic views are a guarantee so plenty of photo opportunities will arise on your journey in addition to the romantic feeling of being on a traditional steam locomotive that’s chugging you along to your destination.
What's a good way to explore the North York Moors?
There are lots of routes you can take with many starting at Pickering. They range in distance and style from a Christmas Dinner experience to a steam train trip to the beach. Some trips have multiple stops so you can visit other places along the route and get into the heart of the National Park.
The railway is also run by volunteers and is not run for profit so by riding you’ll be helping support the railway to keep it running for future generations to enjoy!
- Prices start around £35 pp but vary depending on the route
- Most tickets return you to your starting location
Some information on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- The railway is funded largely by the National Lottery which has meant they have been able to fully restore bridges and trains so that we can enjoy them the way we do today!
- The main goal of the NYMR is to save this historical railway and ensure that future generations have to opportunity to experience history first-hand and help them understand the importance of these steam engines.
- The entire NYMR is run by volunteers!