This award-winning gallery is a must-visit for you art lovers out there. Named after the late Barbara Hepworth, one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, the gallery hosts an impressive inventory of modern and contemporary art including pieces from L.S. Lowry, Eva Rothschild, and a lot of work from Hepworth herself. The building itself is a gorgeous piece of work with striking, angular faces and large windows to allow the gallery to be flooded with natural light.
Where is an art gallery in West Yorkshire?
The garden has been designed by Tom Stuart-Smith and is beautiful too. It draws from the local inspiration and compliments the gallery and sculptures that are littered around the grounds. Hepworth said that outside is how she prefers her work to be viewed so it’s a unique privilege to be able to experience her work exactly as intended. The garden is also free so if you don’t have the time to explore the whole gallery it is a worthy compromise.
- Open 10 am – 4 pm, Wednesday to Sunday (last entry 3.30 pm)
- Closed Monday and Tuesday
- The garden is free
- Café in the gallery and garden for a light snack and drinks
- Ticket Prices
- Standard Adult – £12.00
- Senior – £10.00
- Student – £10.00
- Unemployed – £10.00
- Disabled – £10.00
- National Art Pass – £6.00
- Free entry for Members, Wakefield District residents, under 16s and carers accompanying disabled visitors.
Some facts about Barbara Hepworth
- Barbara Hepworth was born on 10 January 1903 in Wakefield, which is the same town that the gallery is now in!
- Barbara Hepworth was an extremely influential artist with her work being shown all around the country and world in such prestigious galleries as the London Tate, Tate St Ives, The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, and the Heide Museum of Modern Art in Melbourne.
- A blue plaque was unveiled in 2020 on the side of the London studio flat where Barbara Hepworth and her first husband lived and worked in 1927. It is also the location of her first exhibition and where she did her first notable works.