No trip to Bath is complete without a trip across Pulteney Bridge so come and visit one of the most photographed Georgian architectures in Bath. It is one of the only bridges in the world to have shops across it on both sides. Designed in 1769, today it is still one of the world’s most beautiful and romantic bridges, best viewed from Parade Gardens and the crescent weir.
The bridge is named after Frances Pulteney, wife of William Johnstone Pulteney- an important man in Georgian Bath, owning a lot of land in the surrounding area. He had grand plans to create a ‘new town’ to rival that of John Wood’s on the west side of the city. His grand scheme needed a new bridge and he didn’t want just any old bridge, he wanted a spectacular bridge, one which everyone would talk about. The shops are small and the roadway is not wide, but when the bridge opened in 1770 it was a revelation.