For a truly surreal experience don’t hesitate in heading down to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland! With an expansive collection of geothermal formations and spectacles you can get ready for a few hours of something completely unique to New Zealand. Get ready to see the unique Champagne Pool, Sinter Terrace formations, steaming ground, bubbling mud, expansive vistas, huge volcanic craters and the famous Lady Knox Geyser!
When does the Lady Knox Geyser Erupt?
The famous geyser erupts every day at 10:15 am so make sure you get up in time to catch it in all its glory!
Visiting a geothermal park in when visiting New Zealand is a must and Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland is one of, if not the best one around! If you are nearby we highly recommend visiting and spending a few hours exploring the park!
- Multiple Shuttle Buses from Rotorua
- Modern visitors centre on site
- The site is cashless so bring a card
- Park takes 2-3 hours to explore
Some facts about Rotarua!
- The whole city smells of rotten eggs! The sulphuric smell around the city comes from the massive amount of geothermal activity around the city. Don’t worry though you get used to it after a while!
- Because there is so much geothermal activity there are lots of spas and naturally hot water around the city. Even many of the campsites have their own hot tubs!
- The region around Rotorua has 17 lakes making it perfect for water sport activities like jet skiing, water skiing, and much more!