Díseart are delighted to open this beautiful chapel and its very special set of six two-light stained glass windows to the public, for a small entrance fee. With plans to develop the building and its facilities further, this “national treasure” is a popular attraction for all visitors to Dingle and West Kerry. Harry Clarke was born on March 17th, 1889 in North Frederick Street, Dublin, where his father Joshua had a decorating and stained glass business. While still at school with the Jesuits in Belvedere, Clarke showed promise in drawing and art and was described as a reserved and sensitive boy.
He was apprenticed in 1905 for five years to his father’s business while attending schools of art in Dublin and London for periods in between. By 1914, he had studied, exhibited, won a travelling studentship, and travelled to Paris and Chartres. His first stained glass commission was for the windows of the Honan chapel in University College Cork, which was completed in 1917. Between 1917 and his early death in 1931, in spite of ill health, he carried out over forty commissions for churches in Ireland, Great Britain and elsewhere. One of his most famous works is the Geneva Window, commissioned by the state for the International Labour Building of the United Nations.