All aboard! Are you a history fan? Or perhaps a Harry Potter fan? Then you must’ve heard about the famous Jacobite steam train. Described by others as the best railway journey in the world, you can only get this experience in Scotland! On this 84 mile round journey from Fort William to Mallaig, you get a taste of all the stunning Highland nature such as Ben Nevis, Arisaig, Loch Morar, River Morar and Loch Nevis. Each and every one of these locations boasts a renowned title in Scotland. Perfect for trips with your partner, friends and even family, while you’re in the Highlands, you can’t miss this activity out!
Where can we go on one of the best steam railway journeys in the world?Heading off with a view of the UK's largest mountain, Ben Nevis, from the Highland town of Fort William, this train ride can only be described as magical!
With an hour and a half break in Mallaig, passengers get the chance to explore this bustling fishing port that had its humble beginning as a fishing village in 1840. Just next to the train station you can test the local fish and chips, and explore the hustle and bustle of the village! Fort William is just as interesting to explore as it is known for its accessibility to the West Highlands. To get the full experience of the West of Scotland, why not give yourself a few days to explore and discover various locations!
- Can buy the tickets in person but, seating is limited so, booking online beforehand is recommended
- Online booking has a minimum of £3.75 booking fee
- The train journey is a return service; you start and finish in Fort William with a stop in Mallaig
- An hour and a half break in Mallaig
- Morning service 7 days a week (26th April – 29th Oct): 10.15 am to 4.03 pm
- Afternoon service 7 days a week (26th April – 1st Oct): 12. 45 pm to 6.53 pm
- Saturday afternoon service – 2.40 pm to 8.32 pm
- Standard ticket price: Adult – £49, Child (16 and under) – £28
- First Class ticket: Adult – £69, Child – £48
- Private 2 Table booking; First Class ticket only: £154
- More in-depth information about the trip and stop on the website
- Due to strict departure timings, ensure to time your visit well, check on the website for suggestions
- Inspiration to the famous Hogwarts Express!