Are you looking for horse riding lessons in the Borders? Nenthorn Equestrian Centre provide horse-riding lessons, equine facilities, stables, dressage, saddlery and livery services. Based in the beautiful countryside, just north of the town of Kelso in the Scottish Borders, the Equestrian Centre is a well-respected centre that has been run by the proprietor and their family for over 30 years.
Where can I get horse riding lessons in the Scottish Borders?
Nenthorn is home to over 60 different horses, many of which go competing. This means that visitors and clients of the Center are guaranteed a well-schooled horse to ride during lessons. Nenthorn Equestrian Centre prides itself on the well-being of the horses under its care. The Center also has a riding club and pony club for clients and visitors to join.
Horse Riding Tips
Keep in mind that your horse is also of course a living animal – here are some tips to get your relationship with them off to a good start.
- Greet your horse (also known as the ‘horseman’s handshake’)! Offer the back of your hand for it to smell, and then wait for it to touch your hand with its nose.
- Stay calm. If you’re nervous while riding the horse, particularly while mounting, it also starts to become uneasy and makes the experience unpleasant for both parties.
- Importantly – be gentle with the reins. Don’t pull too hard on the reins, or you will most likely be hurting your horse.
- Lessons with your own pony – If you are struggling with your pony’s behaviour or have lost confidence in rising your pony, the centre offers private lessons to help
- Lessons – 1-hour lessons for under 14s start at £20 each and £30 each for adults
- Arena Hire – Visitors can hire the big covered arena for £20 per hour or £10 per horse
- Livery – Full livery, part livery, schooling, and breaking
- Hire of Schools – The large indoor school and small indoor school are available to hire and are perfect for nervous riders or children