Edinburgh Castle isn’t just an iconic landmark, it’s one of the best-preserved castles in the whole of Europe! With centuries of history packed inside its wall, this is the place where so much of Scotland’s history was shaped. Walk in the footsteps of Kings, Queens, soldiers and even pirates as you explore this incredible fortress. As the most besieged castle in the UK its also the site of countless battles, and even houses the oldest crown jewels in Britain – the Honours of Scotland as well as the Stone of Destiny, which used to inaugurate centuries of Scottish monarchs. Whatever your interest in history, you don’t want to miss out on the chance to explore this national treasure.
Why visit Edinburgh Castle?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and want to make sure you get the most out of your visit, their website offers some great itineraries to help guide you through the castle at your own pace whether you’re exploring with kids, are interested in the royal history, military history or want to hit all the highlights in just an hour. Their audio tour includes the voice acting talents of Saoirse Ronan, Bill Paterson, and Andrew Gowar. They also have a great cafe and tea room inside the castle.
- Adult tickets (16-64) £15.50
- Concessions (65+ and unemployed) £12.40
- Children (5-15) £9.30 (Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Family tickets range from £31 to £53
- Advance online booking is essential to secure your slot
- Discounts for Historic Scotland members
- Open 9.30am-5pm year round (10am-4pm January 1-4)
- The audio tour costs £3.50 for adults, £2.50 for concessions, and £1.50 for children