It can be easy to forget that the UK has so many places of natural wonder – Llanbedrog in Lyn Peninsula, on the outskirts of Snowdonia, even served as inspiration for JRR Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, where he took a family holiday in 1920! Miles of golden fine sands, blue sea perfect for swimming and lovely wooded trails, makes for a perfect day out or holiday in North Wales.
What's the best beach in Wales?
This sheltered cove is a great family day out with something for everyone. Sunbathe and relax on the vast expanses of golden sands, or go for a swim in the shallow waters on the shore. Pick up one of the family fun adventure packs at the car park, with tons of fun activities for the kids including bug hunting, leaf trails and other wildlife games. Watersport enthusiasts can take up their boards and boats for windsurfing, sailing, or kayaking. If you want a quiet day out, sit and enjoy the wildlife go by as coastal birds probe the shores for food, or explore the network of paths through the woodland and heathland areas which lead to stunning views over Cardigan Bay. There are colourful beach huts available to rent that make a comfortable base for your trip to the seaside.
- Dogs are welcome on the beach, but between 1 April and 30 September, they will need to be on a lead until beyond the beach huts.
- There is a pay car park located above the beach.
- Information and booking for the huts can be found at: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/llanbedrog-beach/features/llanbedrog-beach-huts-
- There is a shop, cafe and toilets also located above the beach.
- The closest town is Pwllheli. From here you can follow A499 to Llanbedrog and turn left by a service station.
- You can also reach Llanbedrog via bus services from Pwllheli to Aberdaron and Abersoch.