The Italian Chapel is a highly ornate Catholic chapel on Lamb Holm in the Orkney Islands. It was built during World War II by Italian prisoners of war and opened in 1945, The Italian Chapel consists of two Nissen huts transformed into a beautiful chapel by Domenico Chiocchetti and his colleagues, Italian prisoners of war captured in North Africa and transported to the Island of Lamb Holm in Orkney.
See some beautiful Italian architecture down at the Italian chapel in Orkney, the Roman catholic chapel was originally constructed by Italian POWs during the Second World War, now, decades after completion, its is one of Orkney’s most loved attractions, with over 100,000 visitors every year, on a tour inside you can see all the wonders this ancient buildings beholds
The Preservation Committee do hope visitors will enjoy their time in the Chapel. A small booklet is available in English, Italian and German which, for a donation of £1.00, tells the story in words and pictures and gives a full explanation of the Chapel and its construction.