Looking for a fun day out for the whole family? Head into Mabie Forest where vibrant wildlife live alongside miles of lovely walking and mountain biking trails. Mabie Forest is also one of the internationally renowned 7stanes mountain biking sites spread across the Scottish Borders, with a selection of swooping, cross country mountain bike trails in the easier grades and an extreme downhill section for more serious riders. Takes the kids to play in the adventure playground nestled into the woods or head out to the Lochaber Loch wildlife hide and look out for mute swans, great crested grebes and even an osprey if you’re lucky.
Where can I explore nature by foot or bike?
Head to Mabie Forest in Dumfries and Galloway, a beautiful forest teaming with red squirrels, badgers and rare butterflies. Follow miles of well maintained walking paths, head down one of the three 7stanes mountain biking trails or play in the adventure playground.
The Forest is a fantastic place to spend a day and easily accessible from Dumfries by Bus and Car.
- Five walking trails, including wheelchair accessible routes
- Three excellent mountain bike trails, a skills park and extreme natural section
- Parking costs £3 for all day
- There are toilets, including accessible facilities, near the main car park.
- Head out to the Mabie House Hotel for refreshments
- There are public toilets and plenty of places to eat, drink and shop in Dumfries.