Whether you’re looking to escape to the great outdoors, a memorable night out in the city or anything in between – West Yorkshire has it all. Home to the vibrant and historical city of Leeds, and the rolling hills of the Pennines with charming villages, there’s something for everyone.
Leeds has a thriving independent food, the creative and retail scene you won’t find anywhere else, and is a leading cultural capital of the North, so don’t miss the city’s fantastic range of art galleries and museums.
If you’re in Leeds for the first time, then try this scavenger hunt that’ll have you exploring the best of what Yorkshire’s self-proclaimed capital has to offer. While you’re there, why not get innovative at one of these creative workshops? If you’re celebrating a newlywed couple, why not get the party started at one of these fun stag and hen activities?
If you’re bringing the kids along, there are plenty of family experiences for you, from making a new furry friend with alpaca walking to feeding penguins. There are more than enough free things to do if you’re on a budget, like this beautiful nature reserve or the incredible monastery ruins of Kirkstall Abbey.
There are plenty of fun things to do in West Yorkshire!
- Visit the National Coal Mining Museum for England in Wakefield to learn about the area’s industrial heritage and experience a guided underground tour.
- Explore the Yorkshire Dales National Park, which is known for its stunning scenery and hiking trails.
- Take a trip to the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, where you can learn about the lives of the famous Bronte sisters and see some of their personal belongings.
- Visit the historic city of York, which is just a short drive from West Yorkshire. Here you can walk around the city walls, visit the iconic York Minster and explore the city’s narrow streets.
- Head to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in Wakefield, where you can see a wide range of contemporary and modern sculptures set in beautiful parkland.
- Take a ride on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, a heritage railway line that runs through some of the most picturesque parts of the Yorkshire countryside.
- Explore the vibrant city of Leeds, which is home to some great museums, galleries, and shopping centres.
- Visit the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, which has a vast collection of armour and weaponry from around the world.
- Take a trip to Saltaire Village, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that was built in the 19th century as a model industrial village for workers.
- Enjoy a night out at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds, which puts on a wide range of theatrical productions throughout the year.